Sunday 26 June 2016

Adored leadership.

My plea in leadership and serving a leadership role in the society pressured me as much, to find a leadership niche and a perfect gap to serve. My heart echoes humanity, I resolved to signing in as a member of The Red Cross Society in Mombasa. It didn't take long and off I was, very active and most seen around, human resource, physically being around, name it! So days passed on and I realised you could actually vie for various seats in the youth committee. I thought I should, I would be of some good. So days passed, fortunate enough I moved crowds and went unopposed. Alas! This had been smoothened for me. I didn't have to campaign nor instigate anyone against an opponent.
In my two months, with the new title, I would be really amazed with the county manager at Mombasa. He was a humble man, down to earth, hardworking and most of all outgoing. Apart from the title, nothing from his face or rather his personality will make you guess he is of such big title, the overall top role. It got me amazed, nowadays such positions are taken advantage of by many, for their own gains, thereafter take a big belly home, with rangerovers and land cruisers. I guess Mombasa is the most privileged of all the branches RedCross has. His immense support for the staff and volunteers is evident, even when you are new, it would not at all take you so long to notice what type of a leader he is. The first time I got referred to his office, I was as frail. Surprisingly this ended as soon as I got in.
Making me more comfortable he was like;
   "Do you listen to arabic music, am a big fan!"
It was such a small comment but enough to get the ice broken. This is the man! Off I was with my talks and the plans I had that needed advise and I left like it was the most important conversation of the week. I was amazed! In age, in career, in education he was far much higher but you wouldn't know. Like a common man, not even a father but an elder brother advised me on clear directions. I can guess I was groomed.
Then what actually got my jaws dropping was this day, so recent that I couldn't resist putting this down. It was one of the errands in the Ramadhan programme and orphanage visits in Likoni at Little Angels Orphanage. Apart from assisting in planning and mobilising resources he actually set off together with the volunteers to touch an orphans soul. He got a family too, during Ramadhan everyone wants to break their fasts with their kins at home, his daughters would need him around, if they trip in eating or staining a drop, dad would be there to wipe it off, even for a Sunday. And the wife, who would be pleased with him enjoying delicacies wonderfully made, but here he is, serving the young souls, laughing out with the few staff who attended and creating rapport with the volunteers.
This is what I read recently in a friend's blog. She called it servant leadership. Now servants with examples and roles. I would evidently see this. It was not at all theoretical. Most, I like the fact that he would seat around with the youth committee like he is with his peers, give him documents to sign at any convenience just so he serves his following. If I wouldn't be guided by this, then am so doomed to destruction. Completely. Then the day we went to the market, in office wear. We strolled around the muddy place, at a point even got rained on. It was a vegetable shopping for some kids' orphanage in Bamburi. There are many youths at the branch, many staff under him he could send, but this was actually a leader. He is in the management part of the team, but serves governance too.
We are most honoured, one friend would sing everyday. Am actually quoting him on this,
Rajab inspires me everyday, I wish you people see other managers, he is one of a kind, down to earth, lives like others, very less of a boss.
It will never be enough said, but we celebrate our county manager as the best, most we could do is accord him the support and the little help we could give. It is priceless.
"Leaders become great, not because of their power, but because of their ability to empower others."
John Maxwell.

2 comments:

  1. This has touched me to the point of dropping a tear. May Allah continue to shower him with immense blessings. Ameen

    ReplyDelete